Monday 22 August 2022

Retreat diary Day 1, entry 1

It has been almost three years since I have been on retreat but I have today arrived at the Community of the Resurrection in Mirfield, West Yorkshire. I normally bring my journal (as I have done this time) and write in that but I thought it might be interesting to share a more public version of my reflections.

Why retreat?

There once was a man who got very excited when he had bought himself a loaf of bread and some jam. He loved jam sandwiches and couldn’t wait to make himself one when he got home.

As he prepared to make himself a sandwich, there was a knock at the door. “Could you make me a jam sandwich?” the guest asked. Without hesitation, he made his guest a sandwich and sent him on his way.

“Now I can make myself a sandwich in peace,” he thought to himself. As he started to make a sandwich there was another knock at the door. There stood a young woman who was obviously hungry. “Could you give me something to eat?” asked the young woman. He gave her the sandwich he had prepared and sent her on her way with God’s blessing.

Time and time again he made himself a sandwich, and again there were knocks at the door from  guests who were hungry. He gave the sandwiches away and blessed the guests. He felt good that he was able to bless so many people but he began to realise that he was getting very tired and as he went to make himself a sandwich, he noticed that all his bread was gone and he was left hungry. He began to feel a little frustrated and angry. “Why is there nothing left for me?” he began to ask as the frustration grew within him. “I am fed up of giving food to everybody else and having little or nothing left for me.”

That was perhaps a silly example to use but it does illustrate what it can feel like to be in ordained ministry as a priest. Retreat is a time to come away and allow others to make you a jam sandwich, or at least be sure that if you make a sandwich you will be able to eat it yourself without being disturbed. You can be fed yourself for a little while.

Thankfully, it is largely expected that clergy will take a retreat at least annually. Some Dioceses will give at least partial funding to their clergy to cover the costs and many parishes should be encouraged to cover the rest of the cost in order to ensure the spiritual health of their clergy.

Why the Community of the Resurrection?

I have been coming here for several years. Truth be told, I wish I had come here to train but I went somewhere else, largely due to my personal circumstances at the time. Since ordination, I have regularly come on retreat here. It has been almost three years since I last came here but as I arrived, it felt like I was only here yesterday.

I don’t remember whether it happened from the very first time I came here but certainly for the last few years the Community of the Resurrection has felt like home. As I drive from the M62 into Mirfield and drive up Stocks Bank Road, I have that feeling of arriving home after a long absence.

As I sit in the Church for the first time, it feels as though every worry, every burden is lifted and a still, small voice whispers to me, “Welcome home, son”. If I sometimes find it hard to remember why I began this journey that led to my ordination to the priesthood, when I come here I remember. It is as though when I come here I rediscover who I am and who I am meant to be. Life makes sense again.

I have wondered before whether I should become more closely attached to the Community but have never been sure whether that is my vocation or just the lovely feeling that one gets when one goes on retreat. Perhaps more conversations to be had to discern this?

So here I am. Day 1. It is Monday and I am here until after lunch on Friday and so I will try to write a daily post about what has happened to me here.

Perhaps something in all of this will be encouraging to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment